Cody Towns represents corporate and individual clients in a wide range of complex commercial litigation throughout the country. His practice includes representation in energy issues, contract disputes, commercial and professional negligence claims, fraud, intellectual property litigation, and employment matters including discrimination, fiduciary duty and trade secret issues. He has extensive experience in disputes involving the Securities Exchange Commission and FINRA. A courtroom veteran of numerous successful trials on these disputes, he is experienced in handling difficult cases under the scrutiny of national media coverage, and has appeared on national television, in print news media and book publications.
Cody began his legal career as a federal law clerk to the Honorable Robin J. Cauthron, United States District Judge for the Western District of Oklahoma. While in law school, Cody was a member of the Oklahoma Law Review and the National Trial Team, receiving recognition for both trial advocacy and academic achievement. During his last year of law school, he served as a law clerk to Oklahoma State Supreme Court Justice Marian P. Opala. He currently teaches trial advocacy as an Adjunct Professor at Southern Methodist University. He is admitted to practice in both Texas and Oklahoma courts.
- Successfully defended corporation at jury trial on claims for breach of contract and retaliation.
- Successfully defended client against claims of professional negligence in Federal Bankruptcy trial.
- Defended an international corporation providing civil police personnel in Iraq and Afghanistan in trial against breach of contract and fraud claims. At the conclusion of plaintiff’s case, the judge directed verdict in favor of client and required plaintiff to pay all court costs.
- Defended an accounting firm at trial against negligence claims brought in one of the largest cases ever filed by the Securities Investor Protection Corporation.
- Represented a corporation as plaintiff in a federal jury trial against its former senior employees for breach of fiduciary duty and theft of trade secret claims. At the conclusion of trial the jury returned a verdict in favor of client.
- Hired as lead trial counsel ten days before a jury trial in a federal trademark infringement case in the Eastern District of Texas. Case settled during trial.
- Defended company in trial over breach of contract regarding security personnel in Iraq. Successfully defended verdict on appeal as well.
- Defended company in arbitration regarding refusal to pay athlete bonus based on information alleging use of performance enhancing drugs.
- Represented a large national product distributor as plaintiff in a jury trial in a breach of contract case for millions of dollars of inventory. Jury returned verdict in favor of client for all damages sought.
- Defended a certified financial planner in breach of contract and breach of fiduciary duty claims brought against him by one of the nation’s largest investment firms. A National Association of Securities Dealers (now FINRA) arbitration panel found in favor of
- Successfully represented Texas-based construction corporation at trial involving claims of negligence and breach of contract.
- University of Oklahoma College of Law, J.D., with honors.
- University of Oklahoma, B.A. in Political Science
- Texas Bar Association, Oklahoma Bar Association, American Bar Association, Dallas Bar Association.
- Admitted to Practice: State of Texas, State of Oklahoma, Supreme Court of the United States, United States Court of
- Appeals Fifth and Tenth Circuits, United States District Court Northern, Southern, Western and Eastern Districts of Texas,
- United States District Court Eastern, Northern and Western Districts of Oklahoma, United States District Court Western District of Wisconsin.
- Southern Methodist University Dedman School of Law, Adjunct Professor, Trial Advocacy
- Selected for inclusion as a “Texas Rising Star,” Law and Politics Magazine.
- Contributing Editor: American Bar Association Antitrust Law Model Jury Instructions.
- Contributing Editor: American Bar Association Treatises: Covenants Not-to-Compete: A State-by-State Survey, Seventh Edition.
- Contributing Editor: American Bar Association Treatises: Trade Secrets: A State-by-State Survey, Third Edition.
- Contributing Editor: American Bar Association Treatises: Employee Duty of Loyalty: A State-by-State Survey, Fourth Edition.